Kwohl Butte Ski Summit

By Jan Zarella

March 30, 2021

Kwohl Butte Ski Summit

Well, after as many failures as attempts, minus 1, I finally conquered the summit of Kwhol Butte! It seems so simple...a typical 15.5 mile ski tour with a decently straightforward route. Well...there was that one time....

Continue reading

Leuthold - Wyeast Trip Report

By Karly Osten

March 17, 2021

Leuthold - Wyeast Trip Report

We hooted and hollered, enjoying the ski after doing so much elevation gain throughout the morning.... 4 Big Objectives on Wy'east CRUSHED! And all before 1pm.

Continue reading

Loowit Bike-Ski-Bike Spiritual Refresher and Extravaganza

By Eric Schmidgall

March 17, 2021

Loowit Bike-Ski-Bike Spiritual Refresher and Extravaganza

"I made it to the trailhead around 8:30 after 54 miles of cycling and 4,000+ ft of elevation gain. I transitioned as quickly as I could, glad to get the skis and boots off my back and onto my feet. With my bike stashed, I took off with a renewed sense of purpose up the trail. Just as I left the trees into the sunshine, I realized I left my phone in my bike bag. I skied back to my bike with an even more renewed sense of purpose. "

Continue reading

Reid Glacier/Flying Buttress/Wy’East

By Nick Maslen

March 15, 2021

Reid Glacier/Flying Buttress/Wy’East

This trip report is intended to inform climbers of the current conditions on the lesser frequented aspects of the mountain, piggybacking off of the 3/1/21 PMR presentation that highlighted other routes on Mt. Hood beyond the standard route. There is a lot of route information already about the standard route as of 3/15/21, so the trip/conditions will be focused on the other aspects we climbed/skied. Overview We set out to do a multi route trip up Mt. Hood on Saturday, 3/13/21. Our route of travel was from Timberline up the Reid Glacier Headwall to the top of the West Crater Rim, ski down to Devil’s Kitchen, climb up the Flying Buttress route to the East Crater Rim, then ski down the Wy’East face/White River Canyon back to Timberline. This allowed us to see 2 aspects of the mountain while skiing and avoid the crowds on an inherently busy weekend.

Continue reading

Ice Climbing in Washington with Mountain Bureau LLC

By Theresa Silveyra

February 14, 2021

Ice Climbing in Washington with Mountain Bureau LLC

“Use your feet!” It was the most used phrase of the weekend and the one on repeat in my head as I carefully made my way up the crux of the final pitch of ice before the long rappels back to the base of our three-pitch climb. There was so much to see and revel in now that I was nearing the high point for the day, but here I was focused on my feet, watching and feeling the crampon points bite into the ice so I could confidently stand up and take another swing.

Continue reading

Mt. Adams South Summit Trip Report

By Mountain Shop

July 31, 2020

Mt. Adams South Summit Trip Report

Mountain Shop expert Jan Zarella gives us a trip report from her Mt. Adams South Climb.

Continue reading

Cooper Spur Route Report

By Mountain Shop

July 10, 2020

Cooper Spur Route Report

Mountain Shop's tuning lab manager, Zan Zirbel, takes us along for the ride during his climb and ski descent on the Cooper Spur Route!

Continue reading

Trip Report: Mt. Hood Infinity Loop

By Mountain Shop

June 24, 2019

Trip Report: Mt. Hood Infinity Loop

"After a hard day and a half in the mountains, I'm stoked to report on the Mt. Hood infinity loop!"

Continue reading