Mountain Shop is looking to hire full time boot fitters to fit customers for new boots, assess and perform boot modifications, and support our experienced boot fitting staff.
Do you have a passion for the outdoors, a strong desire to learn, and want a job with room for growth both professionally and personally? Then continue reading to find out if this is the right job for you!
Our bootfitting team is a pivotal part of the Mountain Shop where we strive to foster community connection to the outdoors by offering curated gear and knowledgeable staff to help beginners and experts alike. As Portland’s oldest specialized outdoor retailer, established in 1937, Mountain Shop has solidified itself as a major PNW outdoor community partner by providing the best equipment, services, and knowledge. We pride ourselves in having a diverse staff that spends most of their free time outdoors refining their skills and knowledge to pass on to our customers. Bootfitters are responsible for maintaining our connection to customers by providing accurate fittings, offering expert knowledge, and getting customers in the right boots the first time.
The ideal candidate will be a detail-oriented individual who is mechanically inclined with strong problem solving skills. This individual will excel in a fast paced environment working with customers, machines, and hand tools in a variety of applications to provide customers with boots that fit and don’t cause discomfort.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain equipment and ensure a clean, secure and safe work environment
- Perform daily maintenance and cleaning duties
- Assess bootwork and provide appropriate modification recommendations
- Perform high quality boot modifications for customers
- Meet modification work deadlines
- Properly assess customer foot shape and ski ability in order to select the best boots for their needs
- Communicate with customers regarding various boot types, boot features, modifications, etc.
- Develop an effective approach to suggesting appropriate ski boots and modifications
- Gain required product knowledge to answer customer and/or equipment-related questions
- Ensure boot area and repair shop remains stocked with essential supplies
- Manage boot fit and modification appointments
- Assist retail floor when necessary
- Knowledge and competency using EasyRent, Square, and G Suite
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent
- Previous outdoor retail experience preferred
- Previous boot fitting experience preferred
- Ski and/or snowboard experience
- Understanding of foot anatomy and physiology preferred
- Working knowledge of ski boots, bindings, and snowboards
- Reliable & responsible
- Ability to lift up to 40lbs periodically
- A strong passion for the outdoors (skiing, snowboarding, mountaineering, climbing, etc.)
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Able to provide outstanding customer service
- Sick pay
- Health insurance, accrued PTO and 401k for year round employees (currently offering a seasonal position but year round opportunities are available)
- Opportunities for growth
- Unlimited access to rental gear
- Discounts on all retail items
- Access to industry pro programs
- Access to Mt. Hood Meadows shop pass
- Pay Type: Hourly
- $16.00-18.00/hr depending on experience